I struggled a bit this week because there were a lot of reruns. Where was the sitcom-y goodness of shows like How I Met Your Mother? Or the sparkly magic of Glee? And while I found myself laughing during Always Sunny, “The Gang Wrestles for the Troops” was not up to par. So although this is late, here are Oct. 25-31’s best lines…
1. My girlfriend, on a scale of 1 to Gisele, uh a 9. (The Office)
Ed Helms has been the highlight of The Office this season. And after seeing the Subtle Sexuality video, I’m so excited to see an Erin/Nard Dog romance.
2. Chex mix, pretzels, baby carrots—predictable but appetizing! (Community)
To really appreciate this line you need to hear it in Abed’s priceless Batman voice. So here you go:
3. Hey slutty teenaged girls dressed as sexy kittens, pump your own stomachs this year! (Parks and Recreation)
I’m so happy that Parks and Recreation has hit its stride! As much as I love, love, love Amy Poehler, I could not get into last season. As an aside, if I could invite one celebrity couple over for dinner, it would have to be Amy Poehler and Will Arnet. And with Parks and Recreation’s great reviews this season, there wouldn’t be that whole awkward elephant in the room thing, “Wow, you two are hysterical, why can’t you find a good vehicle on TV?” I’m not a Sit Down, Shut Up fan, and I don’t even want to talk about the cancellation of the great but under appreciated Arrested Development. At least Hulu gives it the recognition it deserves. Any way, go Poehler and Rashida Jones!
4. Read my face. (30 Rock)
Not really funny unless you read his face. But the question remains, whose face was better, Sacha’s or Jenna’s?
5. The poncho by itself is fine. The poncho plus the flute plus the stupid dance? My son will die a virgin. (Modern Family)
So unexpected both from Gloria and this episode in general. This line was great, but one line does not an episode make. Let’s hope for more next week.
6. Excuse me, Mr. Donaghy, I’m not sure if you’re participating in this year’s pumpkin carving contest or if like last year, I should go jump up my own ass. (30 Rock)
If I had carved a pumpkin this year, it would have looked like Neil Patrick Harris as Dr. Horrible. Well, I would have tried to make it look like this photo. I’d probably have ended up with stitches instead, but it’s my blog, I can pretend.
7. Then I can mark you down to definitely being there from 7 sharp to Spanish upside-down question mark? (Community)
I love seeing Alison Brie’s desperate performance as Annie on Community. She shown flints of humor as Pete Campbell’s desperate wife on Mad Men, but here it’s much more appropriate to laugh.
8. So Rufus asked my size this morning, does this mean I’m getting a flannel? (Gossip Girl)
OMG. I died. Gossip Girl writers note: The more screen time Eric gets, the better.
9. You really think your life is like a romantic comedy, don’t you? (Greek)
Casey totally thinks her life is like a romantic comedy. But then again, at one point or another what girl hasn’t sang into a hair brush while dorkily dancing around her room? And, had this been a romantic comedy, the song playing would have been KT Tunstall’s “Suddenly I See.” Apparently this ubiquitous girl power anthem was even considered for Hillary Clinton’s campaign song. Or so says Wikipedia.
10. I love that picture of you. It’s so flattering. And who could resist free gifts in shiny wrappers? (Gossip Girl)
Even though Dan’s awkward mumbling is way less believable now that he has become quite the lady’s man (c’mon GG, I’m not a Dan fan but stop calling him Lonely Boy), I still couldn’t help but laugh.